CHINA-AFRICA URBAN DEVELOPMENT FORUM, 2019
ORGANIZED BY: THE CONFUCIUS INSTITUTE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST.
VENUE: UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST, GHANA.
DATE: 3RD – 4TH OCTOBER 2019.
THEME: TOWARDS BUILDING RESILIENT CITIES: OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES, AND INNOVATION.
CALL FOR PAPERS.
The Confucius Institute, University of Cape Coast (UCC) in collaboration with the Department of Geography and Regional Planning, UCC, and with sponsorship from the Confucius Institute Headquarters (China Hanban) present ‘THE CHINA-AFRICAN URBAN DEVELOPMENT FORUM 2019’. The conference is organized with support from Cape Coast Technical University in Ghana, Hunan City University and Aussie-Sino Studies and Journal of Urban Studies.
Building urban resilience has become very imperative in the face of global environmental challenges like climate change, depletion of natural resources and overpopulation. Cities have to be equipped to face future shocks and stresses as recommended by Sustainable Development Goal 11. Though factors such as technological advancements present opportunities for building resilient economies, there are also a number of challenges to building urban resilience.
This conference seeks to bring together experts from China, Africa and the rest of the world to present research findings and exchange ideas on issues relating to new approaches to building urban resilience. The conference will be organized under the following sub-themes:
- Urban resilience and safety climate change and adaptation strategies.
- Climate change and adaptation strategies
- Urban education and social services
- Urbanization, urban governance, and urban transformation
- Green business and sustainable urban development
- Urban economy, housing, and land development
- Urban infrastructure
- Urban sustainability and environment
- Urban social development
- Urban planning and design
- Impact of new technologies
- Urban laws and institutions
- Informal settlements, slums, and sprawl
- City governance and planning policies
- Urban population and migration
- Urban transport systems and planning
- Urban greening
- Urban waste management
- Urban regeneration and renewal
- Urban agriculture
- Urban public health
- Urban tourism and recreation
- Urban livelihoods and poverty
- Smart and liveable cities
- Urban culture and arts
- Urban biodiversity and ecosystems
- Urbanization and media
- Inequalities and social exclusion
- Urban eco mobilities
We invite researchers from different disciplines to submit abstracts on the above themes.
Submission deadline for abstracts: 28th June 2019
Notification of abstract acceptance: 12th July 2019
Submission deadline: 20th September 2019
Arrival and registration: 2nd October 2019
Conference Date: 3rd – 4th October 2019
- Abstracts should not be more than 250 words.
- All abstracts should be submitted electronically through the following email: email@example.com
- Papers submitted for publication in the conference proceedings should be original, and should not be under consideration for publication by any organization or journal.
- Papers should have theoretical value and practical significance
- Full papers should be between 6,000 to 10,000 words with APA style referencing.
Participants will be required to pay a registration fee of US$50.
Accommodation, food and conference materials
China Hanban, the main sponsor of the conference will provide hotel accommodation, conference materials, food, sightseeing and other social events free of charge for all participants whose abstracts have been accepted for presentation.
Local transportation including pickup from the airport will be provided by the organizers for delegates from abroad. However, the cost of international travel will be borne by the delegates themselves.
Publications and awards
Top papers will be selected by a panel of experts and the authors will be awarded certificates and cash prizes accordingly. The selected papers will be published in relevant academic journals. All papers presented at the conference will be published in the conference proceedings.
- 2 First prizes US$800 (one each for English and Chinese papers)
- 4 Second prizes US$400 ( two each for English and Chinese Papers)
- 4 Third prizes US$200 (two each for English and Chinese papers)