Regulations of Confucius Institute (University of Cape Coast, Ghana)
On Teaching and Instructional Management
To improve the quality of teaching and instruction in Confucius Institute, stabilize the order of instruction, confirm job duties and requirements as well as enhance dedication and sense of responsibility of its instructors, and promote scientific and standardized teaching and management, hereby formulate the regulations based on the situation of UCC.
Basic Qualification of Instructors
- Professional Perfection
Instructors are required to diligently study professions, strive to improve the standards of instructions, take the initiative for teaching tasks, meticulously arrange the instructions and continuously advances the teaching quality.
- Establishment of Good Instructional Styles
Instructors are required to establish a rigorous scholarship, innovative, quality-oriented, and team-working teaching style.
- Reflection and Enhancement
Instructors shall be adept in summarizing and reflecting on one’s morality, academic levels, and instructional effectiveness; actively develop teaching methods, carry out reforms and innovations; and constantly improve teaching standards and quality of students’ cultivation.
- Profession Requirements
- Instructors shall have a master’s degree or above in principle (volunteer teachers shall have master’s degree or master candidate in principle). Instructors shall love international Chinese education and the Confucius institute career and possess noble morality, dedication, and team spirit. Instructors shall understand basic theory of education and patterns. National Proficiency Test of Putonghua shall achieve level Two Grade B. Instructors shall be proficient in communication in English.
- Instructors shall understand and implement various requirements of instructional works from the Confucius Institute.
- Leading instructors have the overall responsibility for the quality of teaching and the organization of various teaching sections of this course. Instructors shall be responsible for carrying out and developing the course curricula; decide the teaching plan ; ensure a stable teaching order; motivate teaching staffs to collaborate closely; improve teaching standardization and institutionalization.
- According to the teaching plan and course syllabus, instructors shall choose their own textbooks and teaching materials; prepare references; and write lesson plans (lesson notes).
- Basic Qualifications
- Instructors shall carefully study and analyze different situations of students, implement the principle of individualized teaching. Prepare for the class according to students’ study process; grasp the logic system of curriculum; strengthen convergence and cooperation of related course content; emphasize main ideas; properly handle the difficult points; focus on the cultivation of students’ language skills and cultural awareness.
- Understanding and analysis of students’ learning in-depth; answer their questions on time; question and correct the students’ homework; guide students to master important and difficult points designedly.
- Be adept in summing up teaching situation; have a considerably strong teaching and research capabilities; actively carry out various teaching activities; enhance the quality of teaching.
- Positive apply modern educational technology and analyze the arts of teaching.
- Formulate reasonable syllabus
Syllabus refers to the fundamental document for the implementation of teaching. Scientific, rational and practical teaching plans for various courses and teaching practice shall be formulated by respective teachers, before the commencement of the Confucius Institute, according to the professional direction, objectives of teaching, teaching hours and teaching content. Syllabus is supposed to be reported to the Headquarters after being examined and approved by Confucius Institute.
- The basic content of the syllabus
Briefly describe the status and tasks of the course in the teaching plan; clarify the purpose and requirements of the teaching; explain the basic knowledge, basic theory and basic skills requirements; clarify appropriate teaching methods and evaluation methods for the course. Confirm textbooks, important reference and self-study materials and suggest principled requirements of the course applying modern teaching methods.
- Strict implementation of the syllabus
During instructions, teachers shall strictly implement the syllabus, and are not supposed to change the specific content of the curriculum easily. If changes are necessary, teachers should submit an application to be approved by the directors. Without the approval or examination, the course syllabus or teaching practice cannot be included in the teaching plan, and lectures cannot be delivered to students.
- Timely adjust syllabus
The Confucius Institute shall organize the instructors to inspect, summarize and exchange experiences, as well as identify and solve problems at the period of midterm and final exam. Intentionally revise the syllabus, and apply new achievements in educational technology and teaching reform, as well as the new technology into the syllabus.
- In the semester before the class, according to the course syllabus and the requirement of applicability and scientificity of the system of teaching material contents, the Confucius Institute shall discuss the determination of the selected materials, or self-complied materials and handouts based on the suggestions of the instructors.
- Once the textbooks are selected, instructors are not allowed to change personally.
- Textbook Selections
- Instructors shall designate required readings, auxiliary teaching books and reference materials that match to the textbooks for students to study extracurricularly.
Quality Standards of the Course Preparations
- Preparation of the Lesson plans
According to the syllabus and program hours, prepare lesson plans with the combination of the selected textbooks and fill it in accordance with the provisions of the project (in triplicate), submit two copies to the Confucius Institute for approval, and one for the instructor self for implementation.
- Preparation Contents
Instructors shall be prepared with the preparation work before classes start, which includes the following aspects:
1)confirm the status, tasks and role of the course;
2) prepare the schedule of the teaching progress;
3) familiar with the syllabus and master the basic teaching
requirements, study teaching materials, and read a sufficient number of homogeneous readings with its corresponding references, understand the teaching difficulties and keynotes, and prepare detailed lesson plans (lesson notes);
4) understand the links between the course and related subjects,
understand students’ learningfoundations, pre-course teaching and follow-up course works, properly handle the process of convergence between courses and reasonably arrange the teaching contents;
5) select appropriate teaching methods, and note the use of modern
educational techniques and tools;
- Promotion of collective lesson preparations
In order to unify the teaching requirements, to ensure the teaching effectiveness and improve the quality of instructions, the Confucius Institute shall adhere to the system of collective lesson planning, brainstorming and learning, unify the basic teaching requirements and progress and exchange teaching methods.
Classroom teaching and Instruction
Classroom Instruction Requirements
- Instructions shall be arranged in accordance with syllabus and course timetable. Abide by discipline of instructions without coming late or leaving early, without absence and without changing class time or sending a substitute.
- Complete every teaching task satisfactorily and achieve the goal of every teaching task. Pay attention to instructional methods and arouse the subjective initiative of students.
- Classroom Instruction Requirements
- Expand the amount of information and improve the teaching efficiency through computer-assisted, multimedia instructions and other modern educational technology.
- Instructors shall be neatly addressed, elegantly in speech, and conduct nobly. Instruct by precept and example and stand and deliver.
- Instructors shall hold student forums and questionnaires, etc. consciously and systematically for own-teaching analyzing and improving.
Note: Instructors shall introduce themselves in an appropriate manner to enhance mutual understanding between instructors and students; briefly introduce the syllabus of the course; highlight the status and role of the course in the curriculum system; explain the requirements and methods of homework, tests and examinations, etc. as well as their course proportions, allowing the students to have a comprehensive and accurate understanding of the course.
Course Rearrangement and Suspension Regulations
- Course Suspension
Course instructors are not allowed to suspend classes personally and the person who suspense the class without authorization shall be reported to Hanban. Course may be suspended according to the notifications from the Confucius Institute.
- Once the course timetable is scheduled, in order to stabilize the order
of teaching and avoid conflicts of classroom use, no individual may rearrange the timetable nor temporary rearrange due to other activities, except of the overall arrangement from the Confucius Institute. For special circumstances (schedule conflicts, sicknesses, holidays exchanges, etc.), course rearrangement may be considered with the consent of the Confucius Institute.
- Without consent, no instructors may reschedule the course and
change the course time and place.
- Instructors shall make up the missed lessons that are caused by sickness, personal affairs and sabbaticals. In principle, instructors shall immediately catch up the course by plan.
- To ensure the stability of the teaching order, course arrangement is
normally limited to three times each and each time shall be no more than two class hours.
Course Arrangement Procedures
- If course arrangement is required, instructors shall submit an application in written form one week advance for the Confucius Institute approval. Arrangement may be approved after the consent signed by the President. Students shall be promptly notified. Instructors and students must not negotiate privately for the course arrangement
- In case of emergencies or major incidents, instructors who are not able to ask for leave or submit an application in advance shall re-submit the application in three days.
Homework and Examinations
- Each course shall assign the homework in accordance with the nature and characteristics of the lesson plans. The contents of the assignments shall be not only closely linked to the teaching contents, but also conducive to training students’ language and cultural capability; not only encourage students to diligently practice and write, but also prevent an excessive burden.
- Instructors shall grade the assignments seriously and carefully to ensure the quality; distinguish and record students who hand in their assignments or not timely hand-in. Instructors shall sign the grading date, record the grades and require the students who do not meet the requirements to redo.
- Assignments andGrading
- The assignments shall become the basis of the overall performance of the students. The specific proportion of the assignments shall be discussed and determined by the Confucius Institute. The total mark shall be calculated before the final exam.
- Instructors shall accept the random inspections from the Confucius Institute to their assigned homework and grading results as part of the examinations for an instructor.
- Evaluations are divided into two parts, examinations and assessments. Depending on the course characteristics and requirements, examinations can be set in written, oral, combination of written and oral or other forms. The final decision of the form shall be made by the instructor and the Confucius Institute and approved by the president. Assessments shall be done based on the class performance (listening to the class, in-class discussions), assignment completions and test/quiz marks.
- For examinations, proposition is the key to the exanimation works. Proposition shall be in accordance with the syllabus and reflect the basic requirements of the course. It shall possess a high reliability, validity (accuracy), the degree of difficulty (being appropriate), and distinction (different the level of students); as long as the class hours, textbooks and instructions of the course remain the same, unified proposition, examination, and evaluation must be attained.
- The invigilator must rigorously arrive the designated places for attendance, pick up the exam papers and confirm the exam rooms according to the exam requirements; arrive at the exam room 10 minutes early, check the identifications of the students, arrange the seats, read the examination rules and discipline, and release of examination period(starting and ending time)and the total number of pages on blackboard.
- In the examination, invigilator shall conscientiously perform their duties, and mattersthat are unrelated to the examination shall be prohibited; once plagiarism or incentive to plagiarize is discovered, invigilator shall immediately stop and treat the student in accordance with regulations. At the same time, truthfully fill the relevant information in the Examination Record, sign and report to the Confucius Institute. Examiners shall not conceal or handle students’ cheating incident privately.
- After examination, teachers shall review the exam papers in time, grade the papers objectively and openly, report the marks after the examination within required time, and record the marks into the student management system after verification.
Teaching Research and Management Evaluations
- Actively Conduct Teaching Research
Instructors shall strive to study educational thought that is embodied with the nature of times, actively carry out a variety of teaching and academic research activities, take the initiative to listen for others’ lectures, learn from each other, brainstorming, and continuously improve teaching methods and level of instructions, and summarize the learning and research remarks and teaching experiences to research papers and publish.
- Actively Participate in Teaching Evaluation
Instructors shall actively participate in the assessment of learning and teaching, and have the obligation to accept the evaluations of their teaching work from all levels of personnel (including students), andcomplete theself-evaluation and self-reflection adequately.
- Self-regulation in the Process of Instructions
Instructors shall carefully focus on the teaching process and status and communicate with students. Be aware of the teaching performance and related information by using teaching records, questionnaires, interviews and other type of forms. Identify and analyze the problems for improvements and regulations and summarize the process timely and periodically. When the final comes, instructors shall be able to provide valuable summaries and evaluations rather than a mere formality.
- Teaching Improvement and Innovation
The fundamental aim of the research teaching and self-evaluation is to raise the awareness, summarize the lessons and identify the shortcomings. The instructors shall reform and innovate on this basis, formulate practical measures to make improvement and apply them to the next round of instructions, so as to continuously improve the level of teaching and advance the quality of instruction.
Teaching Management Assessment and Curriculum Evaluation feedback
The AnnualTeaching self-evaluation
- Content of the Annual Teaching self-assessment
- The AnnualTeaching self-evaluation
The Annual Teaching self-evaluation shall focus on the instructor’s basic duties, teaching attitude, teaching methods, level of commitment of time and energy, and quantity and quality of the completed teaching works, etc..Morality and ethics performance, the level of professional work and competency, work performance, and knowledge level, etc. shall be considered in the self-evaluation.
- Term Evaluation of Professional Works
Every semester, each instructor shall organize students to fill an anonymous course evaluation under the title of University of Cape Coast, the evaluations shall be collected and recorded in the teachers’ assessment files.
- Annual Evaluation of Professional Works
Each instructor must fill out a unified form, the annual evaluation of instructors’ professional works from Hanban, and self-summarization and self-evaluation must be included. As one of the main evidences of the annual assessment, the form will be reviewed by the Confucius Institute and commented by both Chinese and foreign presidents according to the review and the usual performance evaluations, and afterwards, the form will be reported and archived in Hanban.
- Scope of the Regulation
The Regulation applies to all full-time and part-time instructors in the Confucius Institute at University of Cape Coast.
- Matters not mentioned herein
Anything that can’t be explained in the implementation of this regulation shall be discussed by the Confucius Institute in conjunction with related parties and executed on the approval by Chinese and UCC Directors.
- The Power of Interpretation
The power of interpretation of this Regulation shall be vested in the Confucius Institute at the University of Cape Coast.